City of Homestead Staff is continuing to monitor the developing situation surrounding COVID-19 and has implemented deep cleans and sanitization protocols at all City Facilities in the interest of protecting residents and employees. Staff is in contact with Miami-Dade County, the State of Florida, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other agencies following the latest guidance.
In the interest of public safety, the following measures have been implemented:
- Effective immediately, through April 15, 2020, senior programming and all member access at the William F. Dickinson Community Center is suspended.
- Beginning March 16, 2020, through April 15, 2020, all City Events, including those hosted at City facilities, with an anticipated attendance of over 250 persons, are canceled and/or postponed. These include:
- Homestead Mainstreet Carnival
- AYSO Opening Ceremony Parade
- Arma Productions Mexican Concert
- Homestead Parks and Recreation Easter Egg Hunt
- State of the City Address
- The Phichol Williams and William F. Dickinson Community Centers will close on March 16, 2020 for deep cleaning, but will re-open on March 17, 2020 for early voting and elections activities.
- All events over 250 people hosted at City Facilities (including Phichol Williams and William F. Dickinson Community Centers) are postponed from March 16, 2020 through April 15, 2020.
- The City will be following the guidance of Miami Dade County Public Schools on their extracurricular and sports policy. As such, the Police Athletic League (PAL) Gym is closed and all youth sports leagues and PAL afterschool programming have been suspended March 16, 2020 through March 29, 2020.
City Officials are also urging residents to follow the guidance of the CDC on everyday preventive measures like:
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throwing it in the trash.
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Routinely cleaning frequently touched surfaces and objects like doorknobs.
Those who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should call the Florida Department of Health at 305-324-2400. The City will continue to monitor the situation and provide updated information. Additional information regarding COVID-19 may be found at www.cityofhomestead.com/coronavirus.